February 3, 2008

An Educated Vote

Now that the Super Bowl is over and another football season has come to a close I need something that I can follow. This is the first time that I will be able to vote for President and it may be for some of you as well. I know that when I converse with my close friends from time to time about the current primaries and caucuses that are taking place I am left in silence or a blunt "Why should I care?" My response is usually something pertaining to George Bush's current presidency.



Many young adults and other stubborn Americans have a simple notion that they shouldn't even bother voting because the chance that they would win the lottery may remarkably be better than the chance of a complete tie in their state. I know that this statement makes a great point, but if the entire community of "voters" that have this notion would actually vote, elections could actually be drastically different, such as the state of Florida in 2000.

The fact that more and more people are voting every election is a good sign of our country becoming more active. More than this though, I hope that all of these voters are well educated about all the candidates so that they are making an educated choice and not just choosing a face or a name. My hope is that by presenting candidates and their views on certain issues, that I can help you and also myself cast a meaningful educated vote.

Below are the current candidates still running for their respective party and links to their candidacy page.

DEMOCRATS
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama

REPUBLICANS
Mike Huckabee
John McCain
Ron Paul
Mitt Romney

NOTE: After Super Tuesday, February 5th, there may be a clearer look to each party's race.

8 comments:

Bree said...

My problem as I try to learn about the candidates is that most of the information I find is extremely biased. I try to educate myself about the candidates, but it's difficult. Can you help decode the biases for people like me?

Cheese88 said...

Hopefully with your blog we can get some good discussions going on these candidates. I am really excited to be able to vote for this election, and have been following the whole super Tuesday pretty closely. So far it turned out kinda like i expected. Should be a real interesting race for clinton and obama.

Ryan747 said...

The race between Clinton and Obama is way too close to call at this point and I actually think our vote for the democratic choice is going to substantially matter. Our primary is on February 19th so I will do my best to get a non biased description of the candidates and their stand on issues so that we all can have a meaningful vote.

Gina said...

So, I believe that I just heard Romney might be dropping out of the race. By all means im not very upset with this news, mostly because I didn't have faith in him being one of the most wealthy canidates. When someone has insane amounts(I mean INSANE)of money there's something not right about that. I am a little upset however, that he dropped out. I know that has to happen in the primaries, but it shows somewhat a lack of faith, and like many other Americans we like to have a choice. I hope in the end, we are left with canidates that want to be president, not ones that are somewhat forced into the presidency, or because they are they only options left.

Anonymous said...

My first time voting: 1992 - Bush v. Clinton.

Anonymous said...

you mentioned that voters will commonly make the excuse that one vote will not matter. I too have heard this excuse and even used it myself. Obviously this is a major problem that will only subide if the voters are given some sort of motivation to vote whether it be monetary or cheery good feelings on the inside.

Nic32 said...

This will be my first time voting in a presidential election as well. I'm trying to pay attention and become well informed, but it's difficult to sort throught the information from so many places. I'm looking forward to your blog. Hopefully it will help me make an educated decision on who to support.

graingerworker said...

I will be following your blog closely up until the democratic primaries as I have not yet decided who to vote for. Looking through their stances you listed to the issues they appear fairly similar with respect to the economy. Would there be any way in which either one of them could balance the budget even with their proposed spending?