February 17, 2008

Obama Rally

On Tuesday February 12 I had a great experience as a volunteer at the Obama Rally in the Kohl Center. I was originally planning on just going to the rally without volunteering until I received a call from my friend that invited me to help. I would never pass up the chance to experience the behind the scenes of a political event and have the chance to get a picture with Barack Obama.

I showed up at the Kohl Center to begin volunteering at about 3:00 and ended up finding about 50 people already in line waiting for the speech that would start about 6 hours later. It's crazy how dedicated some people can be, as to wait that long just to be a little bit closer to the speaker. I am usually content with just being in the building/stadium of any event and not worried about being the closest to the action.

We were lectured a while and then we got to choose which task we were volunteering as. I really wanted to be in charge of taking care of the media, but received my second choice of being an usher. I really didn't have to do much the first 3 hours except watch everyone do their jobs. As soon as the doors of the Kohl Center opened there were hoards of people running to get the closest seat. I was a pretty crazy scene and was definitely not ready to deal with the crowd. I later learned that the section I was to be the usher was for VIP so I actually didn't have to do anything but stand there and make sure no one went in which I definitely was very content about.

After the near 20,000 people got in the building I was relieved and took my seat in the luxury boxes, which we were to sit in and make sure no one else did. But like usual, no one listened and I soon found myself surrounded by people anxious for Obama's speech. I really never would have expected such a great turnout, but I was extremely pleased to see this initiative out of so many students and other wisonsinites.

When Obama finally started speaking I was amazed. Although he didn't go into depth about his policies he will put through (as expected) his charisma was mesmerizing. I have never heard anyone in my life speek with such heart as Obama did.

After his speech I made my way down to the main floor to hopefully meet with Obama. After hearing that he was in 3 interviews at the time and was extremely tired from traveling from Virginia the same day, I was extremely disappointed, but understood his circumstances. Although I never got a picture with him I did get on CNN and had a great experience of how much work is actually put into one of these political events. I hope all of you were at his rally and really enjoyed it as much as me.

5 comments:

Damon said...

I've been seeing his commercials lately and can't help but think that he looks very presidential. My roommate and I reached the conclusion that his voice and passion makes us want to be better Americans. Obama doesn't front

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!
I got in just at the nick of time; I arrived after class at 6:30pm and managed to get in by 6:55pm. Unfortunately, some of my friends (who surprisingly arrived at 6pm) were not as lucky and they got shut out from the event. :(

The speech was great but the waiting definitely sucked. I hope Obama injects more content in his future talks!

Cheese88 said...

I got there waaaay early. I got to be on the floor, pretty close to where he spoke. I spent a lot of time on my feet but it really was a great night

graingerworker said...

While Obama didn't have terribly much content in his speach, it has seemed to me as though this is typical of most candidates. So while many of those who went may be left clueless as to his stance on the issues, they got a chance to see his charisma which could prove to be very important in foreign relations.

Gina said...

Can anyone explain to me the difference between hillary and obama? I just want a perspective from someone other than news anchors. I also want to comment on criticism against obama and plagarism in one of his speeches. I do not believe that the situation in which he is being called out on is plagarism at all. The presidential election makes such a big deal about nothing. Who really cares if he plagarized anyways, I'm pretty sure G.W.Bush rarely ever writes his own speeches and we never criticize him on that.