April 20, 2008

YouTube Your Candidates

YouTube is becoming a more intricate part of every person's daily life. Less and less people are watching primetime news and getting their daily dose of news from different Internet sources. I am curious as to how many YouTube videos in the first results page of a search are actually worth watching. Since the cyber community is putting out these videos I don't think the probability of finding any powerful videos are likely, but funny indeed.

After searching "Hillary Clinton" and after reading over much of the titles of the movies and watching a handful there was maybe ONE movie that actually made Hillary look good, but to tell you the truth it is a big stretch to say it makes her look good. However when searching under "Barack Obama" almost all of the movies were positive. There were some of Obama's speeches or interviews. Things that also came up on his search was the "Obama Girl" and "Yes We Can" mashup which are two very popular movies that have been seen by millions. There were also some movies that I remembered them showing before Barack spoke at the Kohls Center. It is clear that Obama is represented highly by the YouTube community.

I am really confused as to why Clinton would be projected so poorly by the YouTube community. Also, I really don't understand how movies are ordered when they are searched. There has to be some way to have the powerful and positive videos of Hillary at the top. I really don't hope that citizens are getting their information about Hillary from this online source because much of the videos just make her look awful. Citizens can get information about Obama from YouTube. However, I don't think YouTube is the greatest place to get information to go out and vote. It could definitely have skewed information that will make you cast a poor ballot.

This is one of my favorite YouTube movies I found.

1 comment:

Cheese88 said...

I guess you would have to think about who the people are that are using youtube and adding content. I know here at Madison, Obama has a huge following. I may just be putting two and two together, but he may be popular with younger voters. If younger people are the majority of users on youtube, it could make sense that he would be portrayed more positively.